Thursday, October 11, 2007

Socks for Socktober

I have been flipping through old knitting mags/patterns/books and spent a good part of the day yesterday reading many of your blogs....looking for Christmas knits inspiration.
I found some ideas...but also decided I would benefit from a trip to the bookstore.
Nothing there.
I brought my 5yr old who spotted this book...mistakenly placed in with the knitting books. Fate? Who knows. He had to have it so that I could make him one.
It came in a kit, missing pieces...but it was 50% off.

Once home, we searched through daddy's socks to find the perfect pair! I read it through...pretty simple. I took out the sewing machine and....did a little test sew...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yeah, this isn't the first time I have had bobbin problems. I KNOW that I have recently had this repaired...and have used it maybe 3 times since. The machine is a fairly good one...I bought about 12 years ago for around $200. I have also spent a good $150 on repairs for the bobbin...$50 each time. I can't do it again.

I think it is time.

So the sock creatures will have to wait, because my attempt at hand sewing just won't do.

In other sock news....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One is complete now and I am part way down the leg of the other...second sock syndrome is starting to set in.
I need to start another project...

6 comments:

DPUTiger said...

Hmmm ... can you tell what the issue is with the bobbin? Does the timing seem to be off? Is there a tension gage that it's missing?

I'm assuming you know that if you're getting loops on the bottom it's a top thread problem and loops on the top are a bobbin problem? Just trying to troubleshoot via blog comment, which is just a shot in the dark, of course. (I've been lurking for about a year. Hi!)

Anonymous said...

that sock yarn is so pretty!

my bobbin does that when the tension is off. i think. i havent used it much, it's very intimidating LOL

Andrea said...

My machine does that too and it's new. I just feel like crying when it doesn't work.

Oddly enough, I saw that book squished in with the knitting books yesterday as well!

I hope your machine smartens up :)

bookwoman said...

that's one gorgeous sock.

Anonymous said...

I want one of those zeebee hats please and thank-you! Your cuz Renee p>s That would make a beautiful christmas gift!

Susanne said...

Try and rethread your machine. Again and again, ensuring you have your thread "snugly" set between the tension discs. I have this problem sometimes and when I rethread, it goes away...just a thought.